Slike stranica

ing a select school and an academy in Jefferson county he taught the public school of LaPorte, Ohio, for several years, and was married, in 1842, to Catherine, daughter of James and Annie Hurd of LaPorte, and they had three daughters. Mrs. Taylor died in 1884. He became part owner of a saw and grist mill and of a cupolo furnace in LaPorte; attended lectures and clinics at the Medical college, Cleveland, Ohio, 1845-46; was elected captain and subsequently colonel in the uniformed state militia, and in 1848 settled on a farm at Cottage Grove, Dane county, Wis. He was repeatedly chairman of the town board and of the board of county supervisors; superintendent of public schools, and county superintendent of the poor for seventeen years; deputy collector of internal revenue; trustee, vice-president and a member of the executive board of the state hospital at Mendota, 1860-74; a Democratic member of both branches of the state legislature. He was the first man in Dane county to offer a public bounty to volunteers in 1861, and he thus secured five enlistments, and as special state agent visited General Frémont at St. Louis, to consult as to raising and equipping troops in Wisconsin, his mission being successful. He was unanimously nominated for governor of Wisconsin in 1873, by a convention composed of Democrats, Liberal Republicans and reformers, and was elected over Gov. C. C. Washburn by 15,411 majority. He was inaugurated January 5, 1874, serving to January 3, 1876. During his administration, the disbursements for state purposes were reduced many hundreds of thousands of dollars below the average of previous years. In 1874, when the Potter law placing the railroads under state control and limiting railroad freights and fares was passed, and disregarded by the officers of the roads, Governor Taylor issued a proclamation demanding obedience to the law, and the state courts and Federal courts of last resort, after hearing the most eminent lawyers on both sides, enjoined the companies from violating it, and the question, which had become of national importance, was settled. He was active in promoting the agricultural department of the Wisconsin university and the establishment of the Farmers' Institute. He was defeated for reelection in 1875 by Harrison Ludington (q.v.) who held large lumber and railroad interests in the state and was able to bring other similar interests to help him in securing an election by a plurality of a few hundred votes. He was president of the Dane County Agricultural society for seven years, and twice president of the State Agricultural society. He was married, secondly, in July, 1886, to Viola, daughter of Edison and Harriet Lee, natives of Vermont, and they had one son, William Robert Taylor, Jr.

TAYLOR, William Rogers, naval officer, was born in Newport, R.I., Nov. 7, 1811; son of William Vigneron Taylor (q.v.) and Abby (White) Taylor. He entered the navy as midshipman, April 1, 1828; was advanced to passed midshipman, June 14, 1834; was on board the Peacock when she was stranded on Mazira in 1836, and took the United States representatives on a five-day trip in an open boat to the Sultan at Muscat. He served on the Pacific station; was commissioned lieutenant, Feb. 10, 1840; assisted in the survey of Tampa bay, Fla., 1842-43; served on the Brazil station, 1843-44; fought at Tampico in the St. Mary's, Nov. 14, 1846, and at Vera Cruz he fought on shore. He was promoted commander, Sept. 14, 1855; was put in command of the Housatonic in 1851; was promoted captain, July 16, 1862, and was senior officer in the Charleston blockade, until Dahlgren took command, when he became fleet-captain. In January, 1863, he engaged the Chocura and the Palmetto; in July, 1863, he took part in the attack on Morris Island, and took command of the Juniata during the attacks on Fort Fisher, December, 1864-January, 1865. He was promoted commodore, July 25, 1866, and commanded a part of the Pacific fleet. He was promoted rearadmiral, Jan. 19, 1871, and commanded the U.S. naval forces on the South Atlantic station from May, 1872, until his retirement, Nov. 7, 1873. He died in Washington, D.C., April 14, 1889.

TAYLOR, William Sylvester, governor of Kentucky, was born in Butler county, Ky., Oct. 10, 1853; son of Sylvester Taylor. He attended the common schools; was admitted to the bar, and began practice in Butler county. He was married, Feb. 10, 1878, to Sarah B. Taun. He was clerk of the court of Butler county, 1882-86; judge of the same, 1886-94; attorney-general of Kentucky, 1895-99, and Republican governer of Kentucky, 1899–1900, after which he removed to Indianapolis, Ind., where he continued the practice of law.

TAYLOR, William Vigneron, naval officer, was born at Newport, R.I., April 10, 1780; son of James and Mary (Vigneron) Taylor, members of the Society of Friends, and a descendant of N.F. Vigneron, who immigrated to Newport in 1690. Early in life he went before the mast and in time became a captain in the marine. He was married in 1810 to Abby White of Newport. In April, 1813, he enlisted as sailing-master in the U.S. navy helped Perry build his fleet on Lake Erie and in the fight of September 10, was sailing master of the Lawrence. He was slightly wounded in the engagement, received a vote of thanks and a sword for his services, and was commissioned lieutenant, Dec. 9, 1814, and served in the war with the Barbary states, 1815-16. He was granted a leave of absence,

1816-23, because of his wounds; was stationed in the Mediterranean, 1824-26, at the Boston Navy Yard, 1827-28, and on the Brazil Station, 1829-30. He was promoted master-commandant, March 3, 1831, and captain, Sept. 8, 1841. He commanded the receiving-ship Columbus, the Warren, Erie and Concord, successively, and in 1846 was ordered to the Ohio, engaging on the coast of Mexico, 1846-47. He was honorably discharged in 1855 and spent the rest of his life in Newport, R.I., where he died, Feb. 11, 1858.

Zachary Taylor

TAYLOR, Zachary, twelfth President of the United States, was born near Orange C.H., Orange county, Va., Nov. 24, 1784; son of Col. Richard (1744-1826) and Sarah (Strother) Taylor, and a descendant of James Taylor, who emigrated from England in 1682, and settled in Southern Virginia. Zachary Taylor had few educational advantages outside the home circle and a tutor, Elisha Ayers, who kept a school in the neighborhood. His home was enlivened by guests, drawn by the hospitality of Colonel Taylor, from the best families of Virginia, induced to settle in Kentucky by the grants of wild lands given by that state to her soldiers, then just returned from the eight years of hardship incident to the Revolution. Colonel Taylor's home was the most pretentious of the houses in the settlement and was built of logs in the form of a stockade and made capable of being easily defended against the attacks of the Indians. Here his sons mingled largely with military men, whose stories told round the fireside aroused a martial spirit that led all but one to adopt the profession of arms. Zachary was commissioned 1st lieutenant in the 7th U.S. infantry in 1808. On June 18, 1810, he was married to Margaret, daughter of Major Walter Smith, U.S. A., a planter of Calvert county, Md., and his wife lived with him on the frontier where the army was engaged in defending the settlers against the Shawnee Indians. He was promoted captain, Nov. 30, 1810, and in April, 1812, was ordered to Fort Harrison above Vincennes, where his company of fifty men strengthened the stockade in preparation for an Indian assault. The attack was made on Sept. 4-5, 1812, by a large force of warriors who, with small loss to the garrison, were repelled so effectively as to discourage them, and in October, Captain Taylor was re-inforced by

General Hopkins. He was brevetted major for his gallant defence of the place, and given command of a battalion with which to join General Hopkins in an expedition against an Indian camp at the head waters of the Wabash. In 1814 he was commissioned major and his battalion made a successful demonstration against the Indians, supported by British troops at Rock river, which put an end to hostilities in that section. Peace having been declared, the army was reduced to 10,000 men and Major Taylor was offered a captain's commission, which he declined, and his resignation was accepted. Soon after he was reinstated as major and again took up military life. He was promoted lieutenant-colonel of the 1st infantry in 1819, and was given command of Fort Snelling, the extreme northwestern post. He built Fort Jesup, La., 1822, and served in the southwest until 1824, when he was sent to Louisville on recruiting service, and to Washington, D.C., as a member of the board of officers of which Winfield Scott was chairman, to determine the organization and uniformity of the state militia. He was in the southwest with headquarters at Baton Rouge, La., 1827-28, and at Fort Snelling, 1829-32. He was promoted colonel, April 4, 1832, and transferred to the 1st infantry and assigned to the command of Fort Crawford, Prairie du Chien, Wis., which he completed, and soon after joined General Atkinson in his campaign against Black Hawk, resulting in the battle of the Bad Axe, which closed the Indian troubles, Black Hawk soon after surrendering to Colonel Taylor. In 1836 Colonel Taylor was ordered to Florida, and on Dec. 25, 1837, fought the battle of Okeechobee, defeating the Cherokees and receiving the brevet of brigadier-general. In 1838 he was given command of the army in Florida and in 1840 of the Southern division of the Western department. He removed his family to a plantation near Baton Rouge, La., and was inactive until July 4, 1845, when it became necessary to defend Texas against the threatened invasion of the Mexicans, and he thereupon marched with his whole available force of 1500 men to Corpus Christi, reaching that place the same month. His orders from Washington being to maintain the Rio Grande as the boundary, he awaited reinforcements, and on March 8, 1846, he advanced to the bank of the river opposite Matamoras and established Fort Brown. Besides defending the fort he had a skirmish near Matamoras, April 19; fought the battles of Palo Alto, May 8, and Resaca de la Palma, May 9; had a second skirmish before taking possession of Matamoras, May 18; was brevetted major-general, May 28, and commissioned, June 29; fought the battle of Monterey, September 2123; receiving the capitulation of the place on the 24th, and granting an armistice of eight weeks, for

[graphic][merged small]
[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]
[graphic][merged small]
« PrethodnaNastavi »