Slike stranica
[ocr errors]

to Anna Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Rutgers and Elizabeth Waldron (Phoenix) Remsen; served in the Seminole Indian war in Florida, 1856; and was assistant professor of mathematics at the U.S. Military academy, 1857-61. He formed Griffin's battery at West Point, which became Battery "D," 5th U.S. artillery, and proceeded to Washington, Feb. 14, 1861, in the defence of the capital; was transferred to Battery A, 2d U.S. artillery, for service at Fort Pickens, Fla., (this battery having done service in the war with Mexico as "Duncan's Battery"), and while at Fort Pickens was made captain of volunteers and directed to recruit the 11th New York infantry. Ordered north he reached Washington in time to take part with Battery D, 5th U.S. artillery, in the battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861, where he witnessed its partial destruction, and on returning to Washington he accepted a captaincy in the 11th New York infantry, but immediately after was appointed assistant to Gen. W. F. Barry, chief of artillery, Army of the Potomac, with the volunteer rank of major of the 1st Rhode Island light artillery. He took part in the siege of Yorktown; made reconnaissance to Hanover Court House by order of General McClellan, and destroyed the railroad under fire from the brigade of Gen. L. O'B. Branch, C.S.A. He guided Gen. Fitz John Porter to the ground, which had been selected by General McClellan for the battle of Hanover Court House on the report made by Webb after his reconnaissance, and represented McClellan at Porter's headquarters during the battle of Gaines's Mill. He was assistant adjutant-general and chief of staff, 5th army corps; was promoted lieutenant-colonel of staff, U.S.V., Aug. 20, 1862, and was present at Antietam, Shepherdstown and Snicker's Gap. He was inspector of artillery at Camp Berry, Washington, D.C., November, 1862-January, 1863; assistant inspector-general, 5th army corps, in the Rappahannock campaign; was promoted brigadier-general, U.S.V., June 23, 1863; commanded the 20th brigade, 2d division, 2d corps in the Gettysburg campaign, and was with the color guard of the 72d Pennsylvania volunteers, of which every man was killed or wounded. He left the color guard, and crossed the front of the companies to the right of the

69th Pennsylvania, all the way between the lines, in order to direct the fire of the latter regiment to repel the advance of Gen. Lewis A. Armistead, C.S.A., and by this act of gallantry kept his men at their work until more than half were killed or wounded. This movement placed both Armistead and Webb between the lines, and both officers were wounded. Meade mentions it as an act of bravery not surpassed by any general of the field, and it won for General Webb the congressional medal of honor. He was brevetted major, U.S.A. for Gettysburg; commanded the 2d division, 2d army corps, August, 1863-May, 1864; and was brevetted lieutenant-colonel, Oct. 11, 1863, for Bristoe Station, Va. He commanded the 1st brigade, 2d division, 2d army corps in the Wilderness; was severely wounded in the head at Spottsylvania, and for service there was brevetted colonel, U.S.A. May 12, 1864. He was brevetted major-general, U.S.V., Aug. 1, 1864, for Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, the Wilderness and Spottsylvania; was chief of staff to General Meade, JanuaryJune, 1865 was brevetted brigadier-general, U.S.A., and major-general, U.S.A., March 13, 1865, for services during the war; was acting inspector-general, Department of the Atlantic, 1865-66, and was honorably mustered out of the volunteer service, Jan. 15, 1866. He was principal assistant professor of geography, history and ethics at the U.S. Military academy, 1866-68, teaching constitutional, international and military law; was promoted lieutenant-colonel, U.S. A., July 28, 1866; assigned to the 44th U.S. infantry; was promoted by President Johnson major-general, U.S.A., and commanded the 5th military district, 1869-70. He was assigned to the 5th U.S. infantry in 1870, but declined and was honorably discharged from the service, Dec. 3, 1870. He was elected president of the College of the City of New York in 1869, and accepted the position in 1870, resigning Dec. 1, 1902, but serving until the close of the term June, 1903. He received the honorary degree of LL.D. from Hobart in 1870; served as commander-general of the Military Order of Foreign Wars; member of the Order of the Cincinnati ; commander of New York Commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States; an original member of the California Society of the Sons of the Revolution, 1876; a life member of the Albany Burgesses Corps, and a member of the New York Monuments Commission for the Battle Fields of Gettysburg and Chattanooga. His son, William Remsen Webb (1st lieutenant U.S. infantry), representing the fourth generation of the Webb family in the U.S. army, died at Huntsville, Ala., March 8, 1900. General Webb is the author of: The Peninsula: McClellan's Campaign of 1862,


and Through the Wilderness in "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" (IV., pp. 152 et seq.)

WEBB, Charles Henry, author, was born in Rouse's Point, N. Y., Jan. 24, 1834; son of Nathan (3d) and Philena King (Paddock) Webb; grandson of Nathan (2d) and Mary (Mc Knight) Webb, and supposedly a descendant of Thomas Webb, who settled in Connecticut at an early date. He attended the district schools until 1851, when he went to New York city, where he contributed to the Herald and Tribune, and in the same year shipped before the mast for a whaling voyage in the Pacific Ocean. On his return in 1855 he joined his parents in Alton, Ill., subsequently engaged in the grain, lumber and coal business with his brother in Fulton City, Miss., and by a humorous article published in the Chicago Evening Journal, attracted the attention of Henry J. Raymond, editor of the New York Times, who called him to New York, and on whose paper Mr. Webb served as literary editor, 1860-63, acting for a brief time as war correspondent and inaugurating on the editorial page the department known as "Minor Topics." He was city editor of the Evening Bulletin, San Francisco, Cal., 1863-64; established, in 1864, The Californian, a weekly, to which Bret Harte, "Mark Twain," Charles Warren Stoddard and others since known in literature contributed; and also produced at local theatres the plays, Our Friend from Victoria (1865); and Arrah-naPoke, a burlesque of Dion Boucicault's "Arrahna-Pogue" (1865). He returned in 1866 to New York city, where he became a contributor to various journals and magazines. In 1868 he invented The Adder," a simple device for the addition of numbers, which achieved an immediate success and came into general use. He was married, Sept. 24, 1870, to Elizabeth Wall, daughter of Caleb and Harriet Elizabeth (Holden) Shipman of Brooklyn, N. Y. In 1870 he invented a cartridge loading machine which was taken up and manufactured and sold by the Remingtons; made an improvement on the Adder in 1889, organizing the Webb Adder company for its manufacture, and in 1893 brought out a new device called the "Ribbon Adder" for which he was granted by the patent office a broad claim as a "fundamental invention." He published the following travesties: Liffith Lank, or Lunacy, a travesty of Charles Reade's "Griffith Gaunt" (1867); St. Twelmo, travestying Augusta Evans's "St. Elmo" (1868); and The Wickedest Woman in New York, suggested by Oliver Dyer's "The Wickedest Man in New York" (1869). He edited and published Mark Twain's first book, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calavaras Co. and Other Sketches" (1868), and is author of; John Paul's Book (1874); Parodies in Prose and

[ocr errors]

Verse (1876); My Vacation (1876); Vagrom Verse (1889); With Lead and Line (1901), and contributions in prose and verse to magazines. Mr. Webb's reputation as a humorist was gained principally by contributions to the New York Tribune under the signature of "John Paul."

WEBB, Jamas Watson, soldier and journalist, was born in Claverack, N.Y., Feb. 8, 1802; son of Samuel Blatchley and Catherine (Hageboom) Webb. He attended the schools at Cooperstown, N.Y., and in 1819 entered the U.S. army as 2d lieutenant, 4th battalion of artillery; was promoted 1st lieutenant in 1823; became assistant commissary of subsistence in 1824, and was appointed adjutant in 1825, and served under General Scott. He resigned from the army in April, 1827, and removed to New York city, where he was married to Helen Lispenard, daughter of Alexander L. and Sarah (Lispenard) Stewart. He became editor of the New York Courier and in 1829 purchased the Enquirer, which he merged into the Courier under the name Morning Courier and New York Enquirer, and this paper became the organ of the Whig party. He established a horse express between New York and Washington in order to obtain news twenty-four hours in advance of his competitors. In June, 1842, he fought a duel with Thomas F. Marshall of Kentucky, concerning an article published by Mr. Webb, and in November he was indicted by the New York grand jury, but was pardoned after two weeks' imprisonment. He was engineer-in-chief of the state with the rank of major-general. He was married secondly to Laura Virginia, daughter of Jacob L. Cram of New York city. In 1849 he was appointed chargé d'affaires to Austria by President Taylor, but the nomination was rejected by the senate, and he returned home in 1850. In June, 1861, he sold the Courier and Enquirer to the New York World. His application for an appointment as major-general of volunteers in 1861 was refused by the war department, and he declined the appointment of brigadier-general which was suggested. He was appointed U. S. minister to Brazil by President Lincoln in 1861; secured the settlement of long standing claims, and aided in securing the withdrawal of the French army from Mexico. In 1870 he returned to New York city. He is the author of: Altowan, or Incidents of Life and Adventure in the Rocky Mountains (2 vols., 1846); Slavery and Its Tendencies (1856); National Currency (1875). He died in New York, June 7, 1884. WEBB, Samuel Blatchley, soldier, was born in Wethersfield, Conn., Dec. 15, 1753; descendant of Richard Webb, a native of Dorsetshire, England, who came to Cambridge, Mass., in 1626; was a freeman in Boston, Mass., in 1632, and a com

panion of the Rev. Thomas Hooker in Hartford, Conn., in 1635. His father having died when he was quite young, Samuel B. Webb became private secretary to his stepfather, Silas Deane. He was 1st lieutenant of a company under Captain Chester; commanded a company of light infantry at Bunker Hill, where he was wounded, and was commended for his gallantry in general orders. He was appointed aide-de-camp to Gen. Israel Putnam in 1775, and in 1776 was private secretary to General Washington with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He wrote the order for making public the Declaration of Independence in New York city, July 9, 1776, and refused to accept despatches from Lord Howe, addressed to "Mr." George Washington. He took part in the battles of Long Island, Princeton, White Plains and Trenton; raised the 3d Connecticut regiment, and participated in Gen. Samuel H. Parsons's disastrous expedition to Long Island, where he was captured, Dec. 10, 1777, and imprisoned for three years. He was brevetted brigadiergeneral in 1780 and succeeded General Steuben to the command of the light infantry under Washington. He was a founder of the Society of the Cincinnati in 1783, and was the grand marshal during Washington's inauguration in New York city as first President of the United States. He removed to Claverack, Columbia county, N.Y., in 1789; was married to Catherine Hageboom, and their son, James Watson Webb, was born there, Feb. 8, 1802. General Webb died at his home in Claverack, N.Y., Dec. 3, 1807.

WEBB, William Seward, capitalist, was born in New York city, Jan. 31, 1851; son of Gen. James Watson and Laura Virginia (Cram) Webb, and grandson of Jacob L. Cram. He was educated at Colonel Churchill's Military school, Sing Sing, N.Y., 1864-69; at Columbia college, 186971; studied medicine abroad, 1871-72, and was graduated, M.D., from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city, 1875. He was married in 1878, to Lila Osgood, daughter of William H. Vanderbilt, and in the same year gave up the practice of medicine, and engaged as a stockbroker. In 1883 he assumed the management of the Wagner Palace Car company as president of the corporation. He was also president of the Adirondack and St. Lawrence railroad company, and a managing director of the Bennington and Rutland railroad company. He purchased 200,000 acres and converted the tract into a game preserve in the heart of the Adirondack region. He also gave the land for the sanatorium erected at Lake Saranac; established a summer home, "Shelburne Farms," at Shelburne, Vt., on Lake Champlain, and made his 4000 acres rival in magnificence the finest English estates. He was a member of the Century association; of the

leading New York clubs; served as president-general of the national society of the Sons of the Revolution; served on the staff of the governor of Vermont with the rank of colonel; was inspector-general of rifle-practice; vice-president of the Vermont Sons of the Revolution, and became prominently identified in advancing the prosperity of his adopted state. He is the author of: California and Alaska (1891); Papers of General James Watson Webb; Papers of Colonel Samuel Blatchley Webb (3 vols.), the two latter collections being a valuable contribution to the history of the American Revolution.

WEBBER, Samuel, educator, was born in Byfield, Mass., in 1759, and was graduated at Harvard, A.B., 1784, A.M., 1787. He did some preaching, and in 1787 returned to Harvard as tutor, becoming Hollis professor of mathematics and natural philosophy in 1789; and president of Harvard on May 6, 1806, to succeed Joseph Willard, who died Sept. 25, 1804. He was a member of the American Philosophical society, and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, being elected vice-president of the latter immediately after becoming president of Harvard. He received from Harvard the honorary degree of D.D. in 1806, and is the author of a System of Mathematics (2 vols., 1801), and Eulogy on President Willard (1804). He died in Cambridge, Mass., July 17, 1810.

WEBER, Max, soldier, was born in Achern, Baden, Aug. 27, 1824. He was graduated at the Military school of Carlsruhe in 1843; served as a lieutenant in the army of Baden until 1849, when he joined the revolutionists with his regiment, and was elected colonel, serving under Franz Sigel. He immigrated to New York in 1849, and engaged in the hotel business, where he cared for German refugees, and on May 16, 1861, was commissioned colonel of the 20th New York volunteers, Turner regiment, and joined General Butler's command at Fort Monroe. In August, 1861, he joined Col. Rush C. Hawkins of the 9th New York (Zouaves) in a successful attack on Forts Clark and Hatteras, on Hatteras Island, N.C. From September, 1861, until May, 1862, he commanded Camp Hamilton, and on April 28, 1862, was promoted brigadier-general of volunteers. He remained in southern Virginia until September, 1862, being stationed at Newport News during the duel between the Monitor and Merrimac, March 9, 1862. He fought at South Mountain, Sept. 14, 1862, and was wounded at Antietam, September 17, leading the 3d brigade, 3d division, 2d corps (Gen. E. V. Sumner). His wound necessitated his leaving his brigade, which was engaged at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, but was separated and merged into other commands prior to Gettysburg. He was assigned to

the command of a brigade at Harper's Ferry, during Generals Sigels and Hunter's campaigns in the Shenandoah valley. He resigned his commission, May 13, 1865, was U.S. consul at Nantes, France, and later assessor of internal revenue in New York, 1870-72, and collector, 1872-83. He died in Brooklyn, N.Y., June 15, 1901.

WEBSTER, Daniel, statesman and orator, was born in Salisbury, N.H., Jan. 18, 1782; son of Capt. Ebenezer and Abigail (Eastman) Webster. The Websters were of Scotch extraction, immigrants to America about 1638. His father, the owner of a heavily mortgaged mountain farm which he had rescued from the wilderness and on which he had erected a mill, was a man of influence, had served in the French and Indian wars and when the Revolution was ushered in by the battle of Lexington raised a company of his neighbors and them throughout the war for independence. After 1791 he served as associate judge of the Hillsborough county court of common pleas. He was a firm Federalist and opposed the French revolution and the Democracy of Jefferson. Daniel's mother, Abigail Eastman, was a strong woman mentally and physically, of Welsh extraction. Daniel, with his brother Ezekiel, two years his senior, attended the district school, worked upon the farm and tended the saw-mill. In 1794 he entered Exeter academy, having at the time already read Hudibras, the Spectator and Pope's Homer, and committed the "Essay on Man" and much of the Bible to memory. He was prepared for college by the Rev. Samuel Wood and nine months at Phillips Andover academy, and in August, 1797, matriculated at Dartmouth. While in college he delivered two or three occasional addresses which were published, and on the Fourth of July, 1800, he delivered to the citizens of Hanover his first public oration, in which occurred the passages: "Columbia stoops not to tyrants. Her spirit will never cringe to France. Neither a supercilious five-headed directory nor a gasconading pilgrim of Egypt will ever dictate terms of sovereignty to America." Before leaving Dartmouth he induced his father to send Ezekiel to college and trust to the advantages gained there for future financial help from his two boys. Daniel was graduated from Dart

Dane Websten commanded

mouth in August, 1801, and that winter engaged in teaching school at Fryeburg, Maine, and with the money thus earned paid his brother's tuition at Dartmouth, enabling him to graduate in 1804. The same year Daniel received his master's degree in course and an honorary A.M. degree from Harvard. He became a law student in the office of Christopher Gore of Boston, and while so engaged was offered the clerkship of the Hillsborough county court, in which his father was an associate judge, with a salary which would place his father's family beyond the financial straits then experienced. With filial duty foremost in his mind Daniel went to his preceptor in law for his advice. Mr. Gore told him not to accept it as "he was not made to be a clerk," and after conveying to his father the disappointing news of his determination to continue his law studies he returned to Boston and was admitted to the bar in March, 1805, beginning practice at Boscawen, near Salisbury, N.H. In April, 1806, occurred the death of his father, whose debts Daniel announced his determination to assume. In 1807 he left his law practice at Boscawen to his brother and "hung out his shingle" in Portsmouth, the principal town of the state and the centre of its law practice. He was married May 29, or June 24, 1808, to Grace Fletcher of Salisbury. In 1812 he made a Fourth of July oration before the Washington Benevolent Society, in which he advocated a larger navy. In August he was sent as a delegate to the Rockingham county assembly and he was the author of the "Rockingham Memorial" opposing the war. The favor with which the memorial was received in New Hampshire secured his election as representative in the 13th congress in 1812, where he took his seat May 24, 1813, and he was given a place in the committee on foreign affairs of which John C. Calhoun was chairman. He was re-elected to the 14th congress in 1814 and was admitted to the bar of the U.S. supreme court. He opposed the war with Great Britain, but advocated the strengthening of the defences; opposed a tariff for protection on the ground that he did not wish to see the young men of the country shut out from external nature, and confined in factories with the whirl of spools and spindles, and the grating of rasps and saws constantly sounding in their ears. He favored specie payment and opposed the enlistment bill. When challenged by John Randolph to the "field of honor" he refused to meet him but declared himself"prepared at all times to repel in a suitable manner the aggression of any man who may presume upon such a refusal." His growing law practice induced him to remove to Boston in June, 1816, and after the close of his second term he retired from public life to take up the practice

« PrethodnaNastavi »